Re: Mainline kernel OLTP performance update

From: Steven Rostedt
Date: Wed Jan 14 2009 - 21:28:20 EST

(added Ingo, Thomas, Peter and Gregory)

On Wed, 2009-01-14 at 18:04 -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 18:21:47 -0700 Matthew Wilcox <matthew@xxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 04:35:57PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > > On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 15:44:17 -0700
> > > "Wilcox, Matthew R" <matthew.r.wilcox@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > >

> > > (top-posting repaired. That @intel.com address is a bad influence ;))
> >
> > Alas, that email address goes to an Outlook client. Not much to be done
> > about that.
>
> aspirin?
>
> > > (cc linux-scsi)

> > > But the interrupt rate went through the roof.
> >
> > Yes. I forget why that was; I'll have to dig through my archives for
> > that.
>
> Oh. I'd have thought that this alone could account for 3.5%.
>
> > > A 3.5% slowdown in this workload is considered pretty serious, isn't it?
> >
> > Yes. Anything above 0.3% is statistically significant. 1% is a big
> > deal. The fact that we've lost 3.5% in the last year doesn't make
> > people happy. There's a few things we've identified that have a big
> > effect:
> >
> > - Per-partition statistics. Putting in a sysctl to stop doing them gets
> > some of that back, but not as much as taking them out (even when
> > the sysctl'd variable is in a __read_mostly section). We tried a
> > patch from Jens to speed up the search for a new partition, but it
> > had no effect.
>
> I find this surprising.
>
> > - The RT scheduler changes. They're better for some RT tasks, but not
> > the database benchmark workload. Chinang has posted about
> > this before, but the thread didn't really go anywhere.
> > http://marc.info/?t=122903815000001&r=1&w=2

I read the whole thread before I found what you were talking about here:

With this comment:

"When setting foreground and log writer to rt-prio, the log latency reduced to 4.8ms. \
Performance is about 1.5% higher than the CFS result.
On a side note, we had been using rt-prio on all DBMS processes and log writer ( in \
higher priority) for the best OLTP performance. That has worked pretty well until \
2.6.25 when the new rt scheduler introduced the pull/push task for lower scheduling \
latency for rt-task. That has negative impact on this workload, probably due to the \
more elaborated load calculation/balancing for hundred of foreground rt-prio \
processes. Also, there is that question of no production environment would run DBMS \
with rt-prio. That is why I am going back to explore CFS and see whether I can drop \
rt-prio for good."

A couple of questions:

1) how does the latest rt scheduler compare? There has been a lot of improvements.
2) how many rt tasks?
3) what were the prios, producer compared to consumers, not actual numbers
4) have you tried pinning tasks?

RT is more about determinism than performance. The old scheduler
migrated rt tasks the same as other tasks. This helps with performance
because it will keep several rt tasks on the same CPU and cache hot even
when a rt task can migrate. This helps performance, but kills
determinism (I was seeing 10 ms wake up times from the next-highest-prio
task on a cpu, even when another CPU was available).

If you pin a task to a cpu, then it skips over the push and pull logic
and will help with performance too.

-- Steve