Re: [GIT PULL] adaptive spinning mutexes

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Wed Jan 14 2009 - 15:31:52 EST

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 21:14:35 +0100
Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> * Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 20:00:08 +0100

> > ^^^?

> > > Yeah. From my other mail:

> > > This kind of easy knob was included early on - this is how all those spin
> > > versus no-spin numbers were done.
> >
> > Do people enable CONFIG_SCHED_DEBUG?
>
> If they suspect performance problems and want to analyze them?

The vast majority of users do not and usually cannot compile their own
kernels.

> Note that CONFIG_SCHED_DEBUG=y is also the default.

akpm:/usr/src/25> echo $ARCH
x86_64
akpm:/usr/src/25> make defconfig
*** Default configuration is based on 'x86_64_defconfig'
#
# configuration written to .config
#
akpm:/usr/src/25> grep SCHED_DEBUG .config
# CONFIG_SCHED_DEBUG is not set

> > CONFIG_DEBUG_MUTEXES=n, CONFIG_SCHED_DEBUG=y is getting to be a pretty
> > small subset?
>
> Those two are the default config settings actually, so i'd expect it to be
> the most commonly occuring combinations.

akpm:/usr/src/25> grep DEBUG_MUTEXES .config
# CONFIG_DEBUG_MUTEXES is not set