Re: [why oom_adj does not work] Re: Linux killed Kenny, bastard!

From: Valdis . Kletnieks
Date: Tue Jan 13 2009 - 13:05:25 EST

On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 18:21:06 +0300, Evgeniy Polyakov said:

> Using oom_adj? Because there is no way I can determine which number to
> put there. It is not even documented for those who do not read kernel
> sources. Even after that: oom_score changes with time, and having 1/2 or
> 8 oom_adj is correct right now, it will not be in a few moments.

In that case, the *real* problem to be fixed is a lack of documentation.
It should be possible to add a blurb somewhere in Documentation/* that
says:

"echo 10000 > oom_adjust" is guaranteed to make this process the first one
up against the wall when the revolution comes (for some value of 10000, of
course).