Re: [why oom_adj does not work] Re: Linux killed Kenny, bastard!

From: Alan Cox
Date: Tue Jan 13 2009 - 09:07:21 EST

> Do you _REALLY_ think anyone can calculate it yourself and then properly
> calculate adjustment used to properly select oom-killed process?

Its always a heuristic.

> So far my patch is the sanest way to deal with the OOM selection

No. You keep maintaining this but your crude hack is useless in a non
co-operative environment, has lots of issue with name aliasing and
doesn't deal with real needs.

We have container interfaces that can do this and far more and do them
right. In fact the very start of all the OpenVZ and container work years
ago was the beancounter patches which were addressed at exactly this
problem (although more specifically 'making sure undergraduates processes
get killed first')

Alan