Re: Is 386 processor still supported?

From: Maciej W. Rozycki
Date: Mon Jan 12 2009 - 20:07:32 EST

On Thu, 8 Jan 2009, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> > So our minimal spec for SMP is probably 486DX + external Intel APIC.
> >
> > In practice I doubt there is a single Intel APIC type 486 SMP box on the
> > planet running Linux (or quite possibly running at all)
>
> yeah, that's very likely true. I think we could eliminate some of the SMP
> complications by requiring cmpxchg presence for CONFIG_SMP, agreed?

I failed to track down a single 486 SMP system that would adhere to the
MP spec. There were and possibly still are APIC-based 486 SMP systems out
there, but most likely they are not Intel MPS-compliant, by not providing
the MP header at the very least. Thus Linux would have to be ported and I
gather the interest in doing so is epsilon.

Myself, I could not resist trying an APIC-based 486 SMP box and possibly
fixing issues if I found one and it was MPS-compliant, but nothing beyond
that I would say. Life's too short.

Maciej