Re: RFC: Network privilege separation.

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Mon Jan 12 2009 - 15:00:43 EST

> Expanding the heap,

That's a problem agreed Ok you can just always use very
bss arrays sized for the worst case.

> Getting timestamps.

At least on 64bit that's done in ring 3 only with a vsyscall.

> Waiting on futexes,
> catching signals, polling file descriptors. Seeking, doing vectorized I/O.
> Cloning.

That all can be done by the frontend reading/feeding
data into the pipe. But it shouldn't directly access the user data
to be immune against attacks.

> Codecs don't like to read/write raw video through a pipe...

I don't think that's given. It would need some restructuring,
but I think the end result would be likely worth it.

-Andi

--
ak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -- Speaking for myself only.