Re: current git kernel has strange problems during bisect

From: Christian Borntraeger
Date: Sun Jan 11 2009 - 16:39:42 EST

Am Sonntag 11 Januar 2009 schrieb Linus Torvalds:
> Well, you don't actually have to mark that semi-random one as good either.
> What you can do is to just mark anything that _only_ contains fs/btrfs as
> good. IOW, you don't have to know the magic number - you just have to be
> told that "oh, if you only have btrfs files, and you're not actively
> bisecting a btrfs bug, just do 'git bisect good' and continue".

That should work.

<rant>
Still, I am a bit frustrated. During this weekend I reported 2 regressions
(wlan and ata) and I still try to find out why suspend/resume stopped
working. In the meantime I have identified 2 patches (one was already known,
I reported the 2nd to the usb maintainers) after 2.6.28 that caused suspend
to ram regressions. In rc1 S2R was broken again. So I tried bisecting the
third patch - which finally brought me to the btrfs bisect problem.

For me, this was the most annoying merge window ever.

In my opinion we should really avoid subtree merges in the future as a curtesy
to people who do the uncool work of testing, problem tracking and bisecting.
</rant>

Christian