Re: Kernelmessage to usbstick?

From: Mark Lord
Date: Sun Jan 11 2009 - 13:07:49 EST

Oliver Neukum wrote:
Am Saturday 10 January 2009 23:53:15 schrieb Andi Kleen:
Hans de Bruin <bruinjm@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

Would it be possible to send kernel messages to an usbstick? On
poweroff my laptop displays a kernel trace and a final message:
poweroff[3114] exited with preempt_count 2
/etc/rc.d/rc.0: line 265: 3114 Segementation fault /sbin/poweroff.
I don't have a serial cable within reach, but plenty of usbsticks.
There's a mtdoops.c indeed, but it currently only works on
MTD controlled flash devices, not usb sticks.

However usb sticks would need the USB subsystem to be running and it's
unlikely that will be the case really late in poweroff. So it might
not help.

USB in turn needs PCI, interrupts and DMA.
..

Dunno about an oops, but I currently use a USB device to
display debug messages from the shutdown procedure,
all the way to kernel_halt().

So long as the Oops doesn't kill too much low level stuff,
it's probably feasible. Except for the very slow write times
for many USB storage devices.