Re: PATCH [0/3]: Simplify the kernel build by removing perl.

From: Bernd Petrovitsch
Date: Sun Jan 11 2009 - 07:47:35 EST

On Son, 2009-01-04 at 11:23 +0100, Leon Woestenberg wrote:
[...]
> On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 4:06 AM, Paul Mundt <lethal@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[...]

I'm ignoring the "cross-compile perl" issue - haven't tried it for
years.

> 5. Tool *version* dependency is hard to get right. When cross-building
> 30 software packages all requiring native perl, we probably need to
> build a few versions of perl (native), one for each set of packages.

perl is IMHO special (and quite different to others - including
especially autotools): perl5 is used widely enough so that "one somewhat
recent version" should cover all of 30 software packages.
The hard part are the CPAN modules and their versions which are really a
PITA.
As long as you don't use modules from CPAN, "perl5" should be specific
enough.

Bernd
--
Firmix Software GmbH http://www.firmix.at/
mobil: +43 664 4416156 fax: +43 1 7890849-55