Re: [patch] measurements, numbers about CONFIG_OPTIMIZE_INLINING=y impact

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Fri Jan 09 2009 - 12:48:21 EST

> I think that's the point. gcc will not get it right.

I don't think that's necessary an universal truth. It
can be probably fixed.

> So we need to do it ourselves in the kernel sources.
> We may not like it, but it's the only way to guarantee reproducable
> reliable inline / noinline decisions.

For most things we don't really need it to be reproducable,
the main exception are the inlines in headers.

Universal noinline would also be a bad idea because of its
costs (4.1% text size increase). Perhaps should make it
a CONFIG option for debugging though.

-Andi

--
ak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx