Re: FPGA programming driver architecture

From: Hugo Villeneuve
Date: Fri Jan 09 2009 - 10:08:15 EST

On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 20:14:36 -0200
"Thiago Galesi" <thiagogalesi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Considering the several FPGA models available and ways to program it,
> I guess the important thing to consider is what can be made generic.
> (that is what will become fpgaload)

I have a pretty good idea of what goes into the core and
what goes into the specific interface modules (spi, parallel, etc).

> Also, there may be cases where after FPGA is programmed it "becomes a
> device" (PCI or whatever)

This is exactly the case for my board, but it doesn´t change anything
to the programming side of things, apart for the fact that the FPGA
must be configured before using any in-FPGA PCI bus for example.

> > > - fpgaload-core which contains all the code that can be shared
> > > between the drivers like requesting firmware, providing sysfs
> > > attributes,
> > > - fpgaload-spi would handle the low-level SPI connection
> > > - fpgaload-par would handle the low-level parallel connection
>
> I think this maybe split into three layers (maybe)
>
> 1 - low level connection: paralell / spi / i2c / whatever
> 2 - vendor: xylinx, altera, etc
> 3 - generic stuff
>
> Take a look at the MTD and SPI drivers and how they split things

I think that for the moment, I will focus on implementing the core
module and the parallel/SPI interfaces only. Later we may want to add
more fonctionality (vendors, JTAG, etc).

But for now, my main problem is that I need to have some insight on how
I actually implement the different modules:

Bus driver?
class driver?
platform driver?

Can anybody give some advice on that?