Re: [Regression] USB wakeup problem on Toshiba Portege R500

From: Rafael J. Wysocki
Date: Thu Jan 08 2009 - 12:04:35 EST

On Thursday 08 January 2009, Oliver Neukum wrote:
> Am Thursday 08 January 2009 17:36:12 schrieb Rafael J. Wysocki:
> > > We do support remote wakeup from PS2 keyboards. So you might argue we
> > > should do the same for USB HID devices.
> >
> > Well, _I_ can live with a few 'echo disabled > /sys/devices/.../power/wakeup'
> > lines in my init scripts, but I'm afraid we're going to get many problem
> > reports related to this. This means people will likely lose time on trying to
> > debug this problem and someone will have to handle the reports. Are you
> > volunteering to do that?
>
> You are making a very persuasive argument for reverting it.
> But what about laptops that only have a USB keyboard?

Well, up to and including 2.6.28 they needed to echo 'enable' to the USB
controllers' /sys/devices/.../power/wakeup files, so if the patch is reverted,
they won't be worse off than they were day before yestarday. :-)

Perhaps we can choose the default depending on whether or not any HID devices
are attached to given controller?

Thanks,
Rafael