Re: 2.6.29 -mm merge plans

From: Ryusuke Konishi
Date: Tue Jan 06 2009 - 22:27:55 EST

Hi Pekka,

On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 15:30:59 +0200, "Pekka Enberg" wrote:
> Hi Ryusuke,
>
> [snip nilfs patches]
>
> On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 11:40 AM, Ryusuke Konishi
> <konishi.ryusuke@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> Dunno. Has this been reviewed enough?
> >>

> > I'm now working to follow some comments from Chris, and
> > I think nilfs should be reviewed more widely.
> >
> > I'll aim for the next merge window or so.
>
> It would be nice if BUG(), BUG_ON(), and panic() calls would be
> converted to proper error handling using WARN_ON() calls. The BUG()
> call in nilfs_cpfile_delete_checkpoints(), for example, looks to be
> triggerable from user-space via the ioctl() system call (albeit I
> didn't look too closely).

Thanks for looking at the code.

Well, there are too many BUG() and BUG_ON() calls.
I'll try to convert them as your advice.

The use of panic() call is a mimic of ext2/3, and this is called only
if an "errors=panic" mount option is specified.
Do you think it should be removed along with the mount option for
new filesystems ?

> Furthermore, the BUG() calls in error paths
> of fs/nilfs2/ioctl.c look really fishy.

I agree, but this seems to need some consideration.
I'll try to remove them separately if not easy.

> On a related note, there are quite a few new ioctls there. Are they
> described somewhere?

Not yet. Where is the recommended place to put it in?

And, Chris Mason today gave me another comment on the ioctls; he
pointed out there is a structure using unfixed sized types (compat
ioctls are used to instead).

I agree with his comment. I'd like to rewrite the ioctl declarations
and remove compat ioctls some time soon.

> Also, can they be converted to use
> ->unlocked_ioctl? It's bit sad that we're adding new users of BKL in
> shiny new code.

All right, I'll do some tests for it.

Regards,
Ryusuke Konishi