Re: ftrace breaks sparc64 build

From: Al Viro
Date: Tue Jan 06 2009 - 06:36:26 EST

On Tue, Jan 06, 2009 at 07:53:04AM +0000, Jan Beulich wrote:

> The __crc_... reference is definitely bogus - none should survive with the
> new .c->.o rule. Could you find out what object file they originate from?

So can you, by use of arcane tool known as "grep"... It's in kernel/softirq.c
and that's genksyms parser being fucked in head. Look for TYPEOF_KEYW
in parse.y and you'll see. Especially amusing part is a kludge from
commit a89a0a2354ae666612968e254d650bfd04f11eb6...

> The others look like a tools side behavioral difference, as I never saw any
> such. Is this problem sparc32-specific (I tested x86 and ia64 only)? What's
> the binutils version used?

2.18.50.0.6.

And no, it's not tools side. What it is, AFAICT, is that sparc32 has
LDFLAGS_vmlinux = -r, which leaves a metric arseload of relocs that
wouldn't have survived into vmlinux otherwise. Look at .rela__ksymtab
in .tmp_vmlinux1, for example...