Re: [BUG] NULL pointer deref with rcutorture

From: Paul E. McKenney
Date: Sun Jan 04 2009 - 16:14:03 EST

On Sun, Jan 04, 2009 at 03:57:26PM +0100, Eric Sesterhenn wrote:
> * Paul E. McKenney (paulmck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> > > yes

> > > I set the filter to call_rcu() and call_rcu_sched(), reproduced the
> > > oops, and got this in the trace file.
> >
> > Hmmm... The only unique ones are _rcu_barrier() used during module
> > removal by rcutorture and rt_worker_func(), which occurs near the
> > beginning of the trace. My next step would be to trace the addresses of
> > rcu_head structures passed to call_rcu() and friends and to also trace
> > the addresses of the structures as they are invoked (where the original
> > NULL-pointer exception occurred).
> >
> > Is this tracing something you would be interested in taking on? My
> > test setup is having some trouble, so it would probably be a couple of
> > days before I got it working. :-/
>
> Just tell me what i need to do, I am not really familiar with ftrace.
> I am only able to test 2.6.28-04980-gb58602a, since current -git is not
> able to boot on this box :|

Very cool!

The idea is to have __call_rcu() in kernel/rcutree.c record the
address of the callback (argument "head") and the function (argument
"func"). In rcu_do_batch(), just before invoking list->func(list),
also record the address of the callback ("list") and the function
(again, "func").

The new ftrace package has some mechanisms for doing this, but there is
always the old-fashioned way of using printk(), for example in
rcu_do_batch():

prefetch(next);
if (rcu_dump_callbacks)
printk("rcu_head=%p, func=%p\n", list, func);
list->func(list);

Initialize rcu_dump_callbacks to zero, then use a small kernel module
(or some such) to set it to one just before running your test.

If you would like, I could rough out the code, though as noted earlier,
I currently have no way of testing it. (Hopefully will be fixed in a
few days.)

I was wondering what should be done for ftrace plugins for RCU, I guess
I now have at least part of the answer. ;-)

Thanx, Paul