Re: document ext3 requirements

From: Duane Griffin
Date: Sat Jan 03 2009 - 19:00:54 EST

2009/1/3 Martin MOKREJŠ <mmokrejs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Why does not "mount -ro" die when it would have to replay the journal
> with a message that user must run fsck.ext3 in order to be able to mount
> it albeit read-only? Still I would prefer having an extra switch to
> force mount RO while not touching the journal for disk forensics.
> I think that would also prevent the cases when a LiveCD/rescue distribution
> would not mount+replay it automagically but user would really have to
> provide the switch to the command. I am really not using the recovery
> boot cd to touch my partitions in some cases unwillingly.

Well, that would make things rather tricky. As in, shutting down
uncleanly would render your system unbootable.

> Sure that does not prevent my case when I let ext2 IFS writing onto
> my ext3 partition. Actually, couldn't the driver at least warn me
> the journal log is non-empty (am just a user, sorry, cannot check
> myself the code at www.fs-driver.org if it could do at least this
> although it does not understand ext3). ;-)

The driver certainly should warn you in that case. I have no idea
whether it does, as I don't use it, sorry.

Cheers,
Duane.

--
"I never could learn to drink that blood and call it wine" - Bob Dylan