Re: Btrfs for mainline

From: Roland Dreier
Date: Fri Jan 02 2009 - 17:26:48 EST

> > > I don't disagree, please do keep in mind that I'm not suggesting anyone
> > > use this in production yet.

> > When it's in mainline I suspect people will start using it for that.

> I think the larger question here is where we want development to happen.
> I'm definitely not pretending that btrfs is perfect, but I strongly
> believe that it will be a better filesystem if the development moves to
> mainline where it will attract more eyeballs and more testers.

One possibility would be to mimic ext4 and register the fs as "btrfsdev"
until it's considered stable enough for production. I agree with the
consensus that we want to use the upstream kernel as a nexus for
coordinating btrfs development, so I don't think it's worth waiting a
release or two to merge something.

- R.