Re: x86 (Linux Tiny): configure out support for some processors

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Fri Jan 02 2009 - 11:24:17 EST

* Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx <Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, 02 Jan 2009 21:43:03 +0530, Jaswinder Singh Rajput said:
>
> > Let me know why should I choose EMBEDDED option ? I know I am not
> > using Embbeded machine and I do not need embbeded features on my
> > machine. If I am willing to go North why should I go South first ?
>
> EMBEDDED is a bad name for the option. It *started* as "only those
> maniac who need to trim their kernel WAY down should select this", and
> ended up as "stuff that 95% of users shouldn't change, but you can if
> you know what you're doing".

i think both activities fit the generic 'embedded/specialized kernel' term
quite well, so i dont think there's a big naming problem. There's maybe a
documentation problem - the help text could be improved some more to
signal that certain specialized config options are only available under
CONFIG_EMBEDDED.

Ingo