Re: early exception error

From: david
Date: Wed Dec 31 2008 - 15:16:30 EST

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008, Cyrill Gorcunov wrote:

[david@xxxxxxx - Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 12:07:33PM -0800]
On Wed, 31 Dec 2008, Cyrill Gorcunov wrote:

[david@xxxxxxx - Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 11:12:12AM -0800]
On Wed, 31 Dec 2008, Cyrill Gorcunov wrote:

[david@xxxxxxx - Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 05:39:29PM -0800]

so it looks like this is in alloc_bootmem_core in both cases.

David Lang

Along with Andi's proposed earlyprintk=vga I think
bootmem_debug option could be usefull here too.

adding bootmem_debug creates so much additonal output that the oops
scrolls off the screen (except the last 'paragraph' of it)

it looks like it's individual items being allocated (trying to scan it as
it scrolled by)

on the picture you sent me i noticed the message
"Your memory is not aligned you need to rebuild your
kernel with bigger NODEMAP SIZE shift=20" and then
srat code complains about "No NUMA code hash function found"
which looks a bit scary. Btw, could you post this picture
on some public resource so NUMA people could check it?

http://linux.lang.hm/linux/IMG00030.jpg

I'll try rebuilding with a bigger nodemap size and let you know

David Lang

also you could just pass numa=off and check if it help.
(even if it help it would not mean that problem are gone
but become hidden)

with numa=off the system looks like it gets a bit further

http://linux.lang.hm/linux/IMG00031.jpg

this is with framebuffer disabled, earlyprintk=vga bootmem_debug numa=off

David Lang