Re: early exception error

From: david
Date: Tue Dec 30 2008 - 16:29:36 EST

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008, Cyrill Gorcunov wrote:

[david@xxxxxxx - Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 02:21:10PM -0800]
I'm trying to upgrade a older dual opteron box to a current 64 bit
system, but I'm getting early exception errors from several different
kernels

I tried the ubuntu 8.04 and 8.10 disks, and then I decided to try hunting
it down myself, so I took my 2.6.25 32 bit config copied it to a 64 bit
system and did a make oldconfig with 2.6.28 and am getting the same type
of error (the address changes from kernel to kernel and config to config
on the same kernel)

doing a grep through System.map for the address that appears in the error
returns nothing

attached are snapshots of the screen when the error happens and two
different configs with the same error (I tried disabling high-res timers,
tickless operation, and PAT, but got the same error), the 28 image is the
-2 config.

where do I go from here to track this down?

David Lang

Hi David,

not sure if it's the same but I've got similar errors for
early_params being not capable to handle null passed args.
What is the cmdline? It seems to be framebuffer related.
But otoh I could be just wrong.

very trivial

grep -v "^#" /etc/lilo.conf
boot = /dev/sda
message = /boot/boot_message.txt
prompt
compact
timeout = 1200
change-rules
reset
vga = ask
image = /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-64-2
root = /dev/sda2
label = 2.6.28-64

I trimmed the additional boot images from this.

David Lang