IRC?

From: lmage11
Date: Mon Dec 29 2008 - 20:19:55 EST

I know that Linux kernel development discussion has pretty much always taken place on mailing lists, but would you guys consider developing a presence on an IRC network, probably Freenode? There already exists a ##kernel channel which could be used, and other channels could be created for specific subsystems. I think it'd be an interesting new medium to try out for discussion between developers, and it would also make the developers more accessible to users who find the mailing lists inconvenient or intimidating. The only subsystem I know of that maintains a reliable presence on IRC is the DRM subsystem (i.e. Dave Airlie, Eric Anholt, etc), and it works great.

Not trying to start a flame war here, just wondering what you guys think. :)

Ari