Re: System hang in quirk_usb_handoff_ohci

From: Robert Hancock
Date: Mon Dec 29 2008 - 16:10:13 EST

Kai Ruhnau wrote:
Hi,

Some days ago, I reported a reproducible hang during boot. The
information around was quite vague and so I took the liberty to further
dig into the the call stack of pci_init and found the exact place where
the initialization locks.
But first the symptoms (those are improved as well):

If I turn on or restart my computer and try to boot without my
intervention, the system always hangs during boot, the last output being
the io scheduler registration. However, if I press a key at any time
after the BIOS (for example manual choosing the grub entry or during
the kernel messages) the system happily boots normally.

After a little printk debugging, it turns out, that
quirk_usb_handoff_ohci will hang when applied to my first USB OHCI pci
device. I have marked the offending line in the following snippet (line
186 in the original---the second writel)

============ (startint at line 182 inn pci-quirks.c)
[...]
u32 control = readl(base + OHCI_CONTROL);
if (control & OHCI_CTRL_IR) {
int wait_time = 500; /* arbitrary; 5 seconds */
writel(OHCI_INTR_OC, base + OHCI_INTRENABLE);

// The next line might hang

writel(OHCI_OCR, base + OHCI_CMDSTATUS);
while (wait_time > 0 &&
readl(base + OHCI_CONTROL) & OHCI_CTRL_IR) {
wait_time -= 10;
msleep(10);
}
[...]
=========

The lspci output for the device is

00:13.0 0c03: 1002:4387 (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
Subsystem: 1462:7326 Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 16
Memory at fdffe000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K] Kernel driver in use: ohci_hcd Kernel modules: ohci-hcd

My system is a

Linux 2.6.28-gentoo #12 SMP PREEMPT Mon Dec 29 21:01:04 CET 2008 x86_64
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

Thanks for your time.

It's most likely a BIOS bug, it somehow blows up when we tell it to give up control of the USB controller (the BIOS will control it initially to handle USB keyboard/mouse support). Is there an update available?