Re: Hi! I've noticed that kernel.org advertises 2.6.28 as "The latest stable version of the Linux kernel is".

From: Igor Podlesny
Date: Mon Dec 29 2008 - 06:16:20 EST

2008/12/29 Sitsofe Wheeler <sitsofe@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Igor Podlesny wrote:
>>
>> Yeah, I'll try to get backtraces, using null-modem cable, but alas,
>
> Have you tried compiling your kernel with extended checks
> (CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL in the Kernel hacking menu)? There are debug poisoning
> options too. Sometimes this can flush out problems before they become
> fatal...

2.6.28's:

# CONFIG_DEBUG_DRIVER is not set
# CONFIG_DEBUG_DEVRES is not set
# CONFIG_DEBUG_FS is not set
CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL=y
CONFIG_DEBUG_SHIRQ=y
# CONFIG_DEBUG_OBJECTS is not set
CONFIG_DEBUG_PREEMPT=y
# CONFIG_DEBUG_RT_MUTEXES is not set
# CONFIG_DEBUG_SPINLOCK is not set
# CONFIG_DEBUG_MUTEXES is not set
# CONFIG_DEBUG_LOCK_ALLOC is not set
# CONFIG_DEBUG_SPINLOCK_SLEEP is not set
# CONFIG_DEBUG_LOCKING_API_SELFTESTS is not set
# CONFIG_DEBUG_KOBJECT is not set
CONFIG_DEBUG_BUGVERBOSE=y
# CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO is not set
# CONFIG_DEBUG_VM is not set
# CONFIG_DEBUG_VIRTUAL is not set
# CONFIG_DEBUG_WRITECOUNT is not set
CONFIG_DEBUG_MEMORY_INIT=y
CONFIG_DEBUG_LIST=y
# CONFIG_DEBUG_SG is not set
# CONFIG_DEBUG_BLOCK_EXT_DEVT is not set
CONFIG_DEBUG_STACKOVERFLOW=y
# CONFIG_DEBUG_STACK_USAGE is not set
# CONFIG_DEBUG_PAGEALLOC is not set
# CONFIG_DEBUG_PER_CPU_MAPS is not set
CONFIG_DEBUG_RODATA=y
# CONFIG_DEBUG_RODATA_TEST is not set
# CONFIG_DEBUG_NX_TEST is not set

-- Nothing in dmesg; when it freezes or reboots, even if there're
some messages on console, they wouldn't be seen in graphics mode. As I
said, now my suspicion is netfilter's ipt_recent; I've turned it off
and now waiting. Another kernel I'm using now (2.6.24-ovz-006.5+) is
built with stack usage reporting; that's the latest stack depth
report:

[ 54.312696] modprobe used greatest stack depth: 3904 bytes left

Dunno whether it's rather low or ok.

--
End of message. Next message?