Re: [QUESTION] Rather high /proc/interrupts ERR count

From: Len Brown
Date: Sun Dec 28 2008 - 22:39:45 EST

On Fri, 26 Dec 2008, Nick Warne wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Running 2.6.28 stable.
>
> x86_64 system with AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+
>
> The machine runs perfectly fine, but...
>
> ...should I be concerned with the rather high ERR count below (this
> is after 41 minutes uptime). I also have to boot with noapic to stop
> lockups (nvidia driver, I expect):
>
> CPU0 CPU1
> 0: 125 1 XT-PIC-XT timer
> 1: 5534 97 XT-PIC-XT i8042
> 2: 0 0 XT-PIC-XT cascade
> 3: 1 0 XT-PIC-XT
> 4: 1 1 XT-PIC-XT
> 5: 78933 11713 XT-PIC-XT sata_nv, ohci_hcd:usb2, Intel ICH
> 6: 3 0 XT-PIC-XT floppy
> 7: 21189 333431 XT-PIC-XT
> 8: 1 0 XT-PIC-XT rtc0
> 9: 0 0 XT-PIC-XT acpi
> 10: 246562 9267 XT-PIC-XT eth0
> 11: 2296 72 XT-PIC-XT sata_nv, ehci_hcd:usb1, nvidia
> 14: 98 51 XT-PIC-XT pata_amd
> 15: 0 0 XT-PIC-XT pata_amd
> NMI: 0 0 Non-maskable interrupts
> LOC: 236200 234958 Local timer interrupts
> RES: 33224 73287 Rescheduling interrupts
> CAL: 890 964 Function call interrupts
> TLB: 982 1127 TLB shootdowns
> TRM: 0 0 Thermal event interrupts
> THR: 0 0 Threshold APIC interrupts
> SPU: 0 0 Spurious interrupts
> ERR: 354616
> MIS: 0

21189+333431 = 354620

So virtually all of the ERR's are from IRQ7,
which is how the PIC identifies interrupts
when it has no idea of the real source.

The PIC actually doesn't have a concept of directing
interrupts to non CPU0, and the fact that CPU1
on this box thinks it receives some of the interrupts
is in the undocumented area known as "implementation specific"
or maybe stated as "don't do this at home".

So the better thing to focus on would be how to get rid of
"noapic" on your cmdline and get the system into IOAPIC
mode, as it was designed to be.

-- Len Brown, Intel Open Source Technology Center>