Re: [0/7] Distributed storage release.

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Sun Dec 28 2008 - 13:18:10 EST

Pavel Machek wrote:
On Fri 2008-12-26 14:56:09, Evgeniy Polyakov wrote:
Hi.

This is a maintenance distributed storage release, which includes a
rebase against the 2.6.28 kernel tree only.

DST is a network block device storage, which can be used to organize
exported storages on the remote nodes into the local block device.

Its main goal of the project is to allow creation of the block devices
on top of different network media and connect physically distributed devices
into single storage using existing network infrastructure and not
introducing new limitations into the protocol and network usage model.

So it is basically nbd on steroids?

...reminds me, nbd-server should really fsync data before returning success...
Pavel

If you really want reliable operation without killing performance on the server you could use aio and just wait until the data is written to the device. Lots of discussion of this in various places, "on the device" may not mean on the platter, then you talk disabling write cache, barriers, etc. At least aio should (a) be more reliable than just issuing the i/o and (b) not impact the performance of the server as fsync would.

Comments welcome, pointers to a benchmark even more so, now I'm curious.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>