Re: Lock-up on PPC64

From: malc
Date: Sat Dec 27 2008 - 19:45:17 EST

On Thu, 25 Dec 2008, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

On Wed, 2008-12-24 at 03:08 +0300, malc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Ken Moffat <zarniwhoop@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 06:04:45AM +0300, malc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

[..snip..]

Thanks for the reference, but i'm sure, now more than ever, that bad
memory has nothing to do with it, all signs are there that kernel is
confused by the way signals are (mis)used by Mono.

It shouldn't be but I agree with you, it smells bad. Can you report that
again on the linuxppc-dev@xxxxxxxxxx mailing list ? Along with
instructions to d/l, install & run the minimum repro-case ? I'll try to
give it a go on different ppc64 machines as soon as I'm over my upcoming
xmas hangover :-) If it appears to be ps3 specific, we can work with
Geoff Levand (PS3 maintainer for Sony) to try to identify the root cause
and fix it.

I've posted a message to linuxppc-dev via gmane, but AFAICS it never made
it there. Anyhow, here's another try:

Mono can be obtained from:
http://ftp.novell.com/pub/mono/sources/mono/mono-2.0.1.tar.bz2

Although 2.0.1 only supports ppc32 the problem is still reproducible.

Now to the Christmas cheer, i've tried v2.6.28 and couldn't help but
notice that the problem is gone, bisecting v2.6.27 (which funnily i
had to mark good) to v2.6.28 (which has to be marked bad) wasn't fun
but eventually converged at ab598b6680f1e74c267d1547ee352f3e1e530f89

commit ab598b6680f1e74c267d1547ee352f3e1e530f89