Re: MMC: Add 8-bit bus width support

From: David Brownell
Date: Fri Dec 26 2008 - 12:47:38 EST

> I am not aware of mmc cards having 8 pins yet.

Transcend seems to have one that's reasonably available;
NewEgg has the 4GB card for $US 9.50, and Transcend sells
it direct too (at least in the US). I'm a bit curious
what read rates they achieve ... likely not 50 MB/sec!

The relevant search keyword seems to be "MMCplus".

A third use for 8-bit bus widths is the CE-ATA.org stuff
(ATA over MMC) ... I'm not sure how real that is, but the
Seagate website has two "Lyrion" products of 30MB and 60MB
using 8-bit MMC for small disks. I had thought bigger
drives had been announced (e.g. from Samsung, 200+ MB);
maybe they're visible only through OEM channels.

- Dave