Re: [ANNOUNCE] GIT 1.6.1

From: Sitaram Chamarty
Date: Thu Dec 25 2008 - 20:40:21 EST

["Followup-To:" header set to gmane.comp.version-control.git.]
On 2008-12-25, Heikki Orsila <shdl@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> * What would be the probability for a single bit flip to corrupt the
> repository?

> * And what is the situation where a single bit flip can not corrupt the
> database?

These two questions are not specific to git; whatever
answers apply to sha1 also apply here. Sha1 will always be
strong enough to detect any combination of random errors.
As for deliberate attacks, it is considered strong enough to
resist all but the most computationally intensive attacks
(the kind that require a worldwide effort or maybe NSA type
facilities).

> * When (which commands/functions) is error detection done?

"git fsck --full" will do it of course, but I'm not sure
what other operations also start off or end up doing a
check.