Kernel panic with upgrade to 2.6.28

From: David Ronis
Date: Thu Dec 25 2008 - 13:49:05 EST

I just upgraded from 2.6.27.8 or .10 to 2.6.28 on several machines. On
one, a Dell dimension 3000 with a dual-core pentium R chip, 2 Seagate
ST340014A (/dev/hda with swap as partion 1 and root ext3 filesystem as
partion 2 and b containing a windows partition) and running slackware
12.1, I get a kernel panic when trying to boot (the others boot fine);
specifically, I get:

Cannot open root device "302" or unknown block(3,2). Please
append a correct root=; here are the available partitions:

No partitions are shown. Manually adding root=/dev/hda2 to the lilo
boot prompt doesn't help either.

The 2.6.27.8 kernel boots fine.

Any suggestions? Please CC me directly.

Thanks and Happy Holidays