Re: Question about not saving power

From: Robert Hancock
Date: Thu Dec 25 2008 - 11:17:00 EST

Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
On Wednesday 24 December 2008 12:02:53 Robert Hancock wrote:
Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
Hello.

I tried playing with some audio apps like JACK and fluidsynth, and
noticed the following. If I set the parameters in JACK so that the
latency becomes less than ~10 milliseconds, a faint tone appears in the
headphones connected to the onboard sound card.

I guess that its frequency is the tone is the same as that of the
interrupts generated by the sound card. The tone disappears if I run
something like "while : ; do : ; done" that consumes CPU time
continuously, so I guess this has something to do with the power-saving
features and less-than-perfect PSU.

My question is: what are my options (like kernel parameters) to disable
power- saving features, other than running such CPU-eating process
continuously?
You can try booting with idle=poll on kernel command line, so the CPU
will not enter halt states..

This mostly helped. Now the tone disappeared, but there are noises (not xruns!) caused by the onboard graphics card when KDE4 draws something. I disabled the effects to reduce the noise, but it didn't fully help (there is still some "zzzzz" when I move the mouse over the taskbar so that different window buttons are highlighted). The noise exists both in the connector for headphones on the front panel, and in the green connector at the back of the computer, but in the second connector, it is much softer.

The board is Intel DG965SS, and the graphics ship is:

00:02.0 0300: 8086:29a2 (rev 02)
00:02.1 0380: 8086:29a3 (rev 02)

or, with names instead of the numbers,

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82G965 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation 82G965 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)

Intel developers: could you please add some workaround to the "intel" driver, so that the GPU always stays busy (and thus draws the constant amount of power)? And please tell the hardware designers so that for the future boards, this interference between graphics and audio should not happen. Add separate stabilizers and filters for the power supply of the audio chip, carefully design the wiring so that the "noisy" lines don't get near anything related to audio.

I think you may be expecting too much from the analog output quality for onboard sound, this is a common problem on many boards. If you really want high quality analog output you usually have to go for a separate sound card which usually have much better filtering.