Re: asterisk hangs with RT priority

From: Peter Zijlstra
Date: Thu Dec 25 2008 - 02:56:09 EST

On Thu, 2008-12-25 at 09:07 +1100, Herbert Xu wrote:
> Peter Zijlstra <a.p.zijlstra@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > So you have uid-group scheduling and RT-group scheduling enabled (a
> > feature that's experimental for real and has never been enabled by
> > default), looking at the sys_setuid() code, the real uid change is done
> > by switch_uid() and that doesn't have a failable scheduler hook.
>
> An experimental marking is no excuse for being broken.

True, and we strive to fix them -- so thanks for finding this one.

> > The thing is, I suspect the uid you switch to doesn't have a RT runtime
> > quota configured, therefore the RT task that gets placed in it by
> > switch_uid() doesn't get to run.
> >
> > [ Please read Documentation/scheduler/sched-rt-group.txt
> > when you enable RT group scheduling ]
>
> This seems broken to me. The only way for a process to get into
> RR mode is if it had been set by someone with the right privileges
> or if it was inherited from its parent.
>
> So having a default where such a process stops executing altogether
> after performing a setuid is wrong.

True, therefore the setuid must fail.

> The default should be to give each user a non-zero allotment.

That's sadly impossible. The thing is, you cannot over-commit this time
-- nor change an active configuration. So the only possibility left is a
default of 0.

> > The correct thing would be for switch_uid() (or set_user) to fail with
> > -EINVAL, much like cpu_cgroup_can_attach() currently does for cgroup
> > grouping.
> >
> > After that it demonstrates a bug in your test program, which fails to
> > check errors ;-)
>
> Well the program which this was based on, asterisk does check for
> errors on setuid. However, even if setuid did return an error this
> isn't much better than the status quo since the user will be left
> with the question "why on earth is asterisk failing on setuid?".

Maybe a more descriptive error like -ENOTIME ?