Re: linux-next: parsing mem=700M broken

From: Rusty Russell
Date: Wed Dec 24 2008 - 22:28:43 EST

On Thursday 25 December 2008 01:14:35 Hugh Dickins wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Dec 2008, Rusty Russell wrote:
> > mem= is actually easy, memmap= is harder. This is tested and pushed.
>
> Thanks, that gets my "mem=700M" respected on x86_32 and x86_64.
> But (of course: it's a patch to arch/x86) doesn't help at all on
> ppc64; and I presume other architectures also remain broken...

No, the problem is that early_param() get parsed *earlier* with these
changes. x86 relied on the e820 map already being set up. Most archs
(like powerpc) just set a "memory_limit" and handle it later; this
is in fact how the vast majority of early_param() work.

This cleanup is getting hairier, however we should see it as a chance
to clean some of this code too I guess...

Thanks,
Rusty.