Re: Question about not saving power

From: Robert Hancock
Date: Wed Dec 24 2008 - 02:03:22 EST

Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
Hello.

I tried playing with some audio apps like JACK and fluidsynth, and noticed the following. If I set the parameters in JACK so that the latency becomes less than ~10 milliseconds, a faint tone appears in the headphones connected to the onboard sound card.

I guess that its frequency is the tone is the same as that of the interrupts generated by the sound card. The tone disappears if I run something like "while : ; do : ; done" that consumes CPU time continuously, so I guess this has something to do with the power-saving features and less-than-perfect PSU.

My question is: what are my options (like kernel parameters) to disable power-
saving features, other than running such CPU-eating process continuously?

You can try booting with idle=poll on kernel command line, so the CPU will not enter halt states..