processor isolation inquiry

From: Mark Hounschell
Date: Sun Dec 21 2008 - 11:37:32 EST

It's been some time now since Max K. brought up the complete processor isolation
discussion. I know his original patch was NAK'd but some work on this was put
into cpusets. I'm unclear as to what actually has been or will be implemented.

The 2 things I'm most interested in are work queues, and local timer interrupts.
Is it yet possible to isolate a processor from either of these 2 things with
recent kernels?

The kernel doc concerning cpusets doesn't seem to clarify this for me.

The Process shielding instructions at

http://rt.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/CPU_shielding_using_/proc_and_/dev/cpuset

don't seem to help with work queues or local timer interrupts. Should they?

Thanks in advance for any pointers
Mark