Re: [git pull] x86 fixes

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Sat Dec 20 2008 - 14:31:33 EST

* Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Dec 2008, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> >
> > Joerg Roedel (3):
> > AMD IOMMU: panic if completion wait loop fails
>
> What's the advantage to this, especially this late in the game?
>
> Now, I tried to google for the message (while ignoring the patches), and
> as far as I can tell, it has never happened that google has noticed. But
> still, why was this pushed as a "fix"?

You are right, this patch should have been delayed to .29. Should i rebase
the branch?

Joerg has been doing stress-tests of the iommu driver and these fixes are
the result of that. I pulled three patches from Joerg in one group, and
the other two were real fixes - and this one looked indeed unnecessary but
harmless, so i didnt ask him to rebase. CONFIG_AMD_IOMMU is default-off
and a relatively new driver, and the patch came from the hw vendor
affected by it so i let it through. When i pulled i assumed i could get it
in before -rc9 but once you released -rc9 the pull was done already. I
wouldnt have pulled such a patch so close before final .28. The timing was
a bit unfortunate - can rebase and re-test. Same deal for:

55aab5f: x86 gart: don't complain if no AMD GART found

i wouldnt have put it in after the final -rc.

Ingo