Re: KVM guest lockup

From: Jan Niehusmann
Date: Sat Dec 20 2008 - 07:20:21 EST

Max Kellermann wrote:
I am running a KVM enabled AMD64 kernel, version 2.6.26 and 2.6.27
(Debian kernel). The guest has been tested with 2.6.26 up to
2.6.28-rc8.

Whenever I put high load on the guest (git-svn is quite good at
triggering the problem), it becomes unresponsive after a few minutes.
After a while, a "soft lockup" message appears on serial console, with
a ridiculously large time span, machine still unresponsive.

You mean something like "BUG: soft lockup - CPU#0 stuck for 1179869794s!"?

I had similar lockups, also on 2.6.26 (amd64).
It turned out to be related to frequency scaling on the host. With frequency scaling enabled, I was able to lock up the VM within minutes by periodically switching between full load and idle. (running burnMMX for a few seconds and then sleeping for a few seconds in a loop)

After setting scaling_min_freq to the same value as scaling_max_freq, virtual machines became rock solid.

BTW often the lockups were not complete, but the VM resumed work after a while. (IIRC, ~1/2 hour, for sure much less than 1179869794s :-) )

Jan