Re: Pull request for FS-Cache, including NFS patches

From: Bryan Henderson
Date: Fri Dec 19 2008 - 14:53:52 EST

> Muntz, Daniel <Dan.Muntz@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > AFS was designed to support local disk cache, so with callbacks
> you can get a
> > consistent system.
>
> It's less the callbacks and more the data version number that's
important.

Maybe for consistency, but for the performance benefits of local disk
caching, I believe the callbacks are pretty important. I say that because
I regularly use an NFS 3 filesystem on the IBM internal network that is
painfully slow on Linux and fine on AIX with CacheFS. It was also fine
when this data was in AFS instead, and if I copy all the files to a local
disk filesystem.

In this case, the files are _all in local page cache_, so I assume the
waiting is for the constant stream of transactions the client uses to make
sure the data in the cache is still current every time I open a file. AIX
CacheFS doesn't sweat the consistency, so makes these queries only
periodically. AFS had the callbacks, so rather than the client asking
every time if the data had changed, the server just told it when it did.

--
Bryan Henderson IBM Almaden Research Center
San Jose CA Storage Systems