Re: Pull request for FS-Cache, including NFS patches

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Thu Dec 18 2008 - 21:45:52 EST

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 02:27:24 +0000 David Howells <dhowells@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Are any distros pushing for this? Or shipping it? If so, are they
> > able to weigh in and help us with this quite difficult decision?
>
> We (Red Hat) have shipped it in RHEL-5 and some Fedora releases. Doing so is
> quite an effort, though, precisely because the code is not yet upstream. We
> have customers using it and are gaining more customers who want it. There
> even appear to be CentOS users using it (or at least complaining when it
> breaks).

That's useful news.

> I don't know what will convince you. I've given you theoretical reasons why
> caching ought to be useful; I've backed up the ones I've implemented with
> benchmarks; I've given you examples of what our customers are doing with it or
> want to do with it.

Was that information captured/maintained somewhere? It really is important (I
think) for something of this magnitude.

> Please help me understand what else you want.

I want to be able to have an answer when someone asks me "why was all that
stuff merged". One which I can believe.

> Do you perhaps want the netfs maintainers (such as Trond) to say that it's
> necessary?

Of course, their opinions (and supporting explanations) would be valuable.