Re: FPU emulation broken in 2.6.28-rc8 ?

From: Rogier Wolff
Date: Wed Dec 17 2008 - 17:52:33 EST

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 11:45:39PM +0100, Andi Kleen wrote:
> Rogier Wolff <R.E.Wolff@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> >>
> >> I'm trying to set up a thin client, which runs on a geode, which
> >> apparently doesn't have a FPU.... (/proc/cpuinfo mentions the flag
> >> "fpu", what does THAT mean?)
>
> Geodes all have FPUs to my knowledge.
> The only FPU less x87s are 386s and special 486s (and a few emulators)
>
> If the FPU doesn't work on the Geode something else must be broken
> (or your CPU is not really a Geode)

Although the /proc/cpuinfo file shows the FPU flag, the kernel stops
with "no fpu found, and math emulation not present" if I disable
FP emulation....

chipolata:/etc/X11# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : CyrixInstead
cpu family : 5
model : 9
model name : Geode(TM) Integrated Processor by National Semi
stepping : 2
cpu MHz : 299.913
cache size : 16 KB
fdiv_bug : yes
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : no
fpu_exception : no
cpuid level : 2
wp : yes
flags : fpu tsc msr cx8 cmov mmx cxmmx
bogomips : 599.82
clflush size : 32
power management:

Roger.

--
** R.E.Wolff@xxxxxxxxxxxx ** http://www.BitWizard.nl/ ** +31-15-2600998 **
** Delftechpark 26 2628 XH Delft, The Netherlands. KVK: 27239233 **