Re: [RFC] globmatch() helper function

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Wed Dec 17 2008 - 08:28:22 EST

"George Spelvin" <linux@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Wow, finally a name.

> break;
> case '*':
> if (pat[1] == '\0') /* Optimize trailing * case */
> return true;
> /* Recurse on each possible tail of str */
> while (!globmatch(pat+1, str))
> if (!*str++)
> return false;

I'm uneasy with the unbounded recursion. Sure currently all the users
are controlled in kernel source code and expect to put in sane patterns.
But if someone ever adds a user controlled glob in some way it will be
trivial to crash/overwrite memory with the limited kernel stack.
And with such a generalized function it's likely to be used more
in the future.

-Andi

--
ak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx