Re: physical memory limit of 64-bit linux

From: Jeremy Fitzhardinge
Date: Tue Dec 16 2008 - 14:07:35 EST

Ingo Molnar wrote:
phase 3) We could also go close to 47 bits: with various more invasive
movings of VMALLOC and rest upwards, and other considerations
such as the elimination of the generous start of 8 TB hole at
__PAGE_OFFSET - i.e. moving __PAGE_OFFSET straight down to
minus 128 TB. 120 TB would be doable.

Originally it was there, but I moved it up because that's where Xen puts itself when running a PV 64-bit guest. It is also properly parameterised now, so we could make it move on the basis of a config setting.

phase 4) If the 48 bits limit is ever lifted on the CPU side, we can move
__PAGE_OFFSET down. This is actually less invasive than phase 3), because moving __PAGE_OFFSET is relatively easy. The far
more invasive change would be the necessary changes to the
virtual memory code: the current 4-level paging has a 256 TB limit which comes from the 512*512*512*512*4K split of pgd/pud/pmd/pte entries. Either PGDIR_SHIFT would have to be increased, moving the root pgtable's size from 4K to 8K or more, or another pgdir level would have to be introduced (which is even more intrusive and much less likely to be implemented by hw
makers).

...or we could just reintroduce highmem ;)