Re: 2.6.28-rc6-git1 -- BUG: unable to handle kernel paging requestat ffff8800be8b0019

From: Pekka Enberg
Date: Thu Nov 27 2008 - 16:28:06 EST

Hi Hugh,

Hugh Dickins wrote:
Reverting my patch for now: that's certainly a reasonable possibility,
but leaves us with several other such bugs. Suggested patch below,
but the ftrace part of it worries me a little, since it's within a
structure and maybe it's a bad idea to enlarge that at this point;
I've also not _really_ done the arithmetic needed for the slub one.

For SLUB, I think you can just replace the 100 with KSYM_NAME_LEN and it will work fine. The 100 constant is already supposed to be big enough to fit the symbol and the rest.

Hugh Dickins wrote:
An alternative quick just-for-now fix might be to remove that
namebuf[KSYM_NAME_LEN - 1] = 0;
from kallsyms_lookup(): as I understand it (please check), that
could only make sense in cases where the symbol is KSYM_NAME_LEN
long or longer - in which case, all of the places fixed in the
patch below would be causing corruption already, even without my
patch. I think. Maybe that "= 0" even serves no purpose at all?

I like this approach the best but I worry it's a can of worms especially this late in the cycle.

As a stop-gap measure, I'm fine with your proposed patch either as-is or with the suggestions I had for the SLUB case.

Pekka