Re: How to add the Asus R1F to asus-laptop.c?

From: Lennart Sorensen
Date: Thu Nov 27 2008 - 10:14:55 EST

On Thu, Sep 04, 2008 at 09:41:39AM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 04, 2008 at 08:48:03AM +0200, Corentin Chary wrote:
> > Hi,
> > Currently I've no internet connection, so I'm depend off the hotspot I
> > can found when I'm close to my windows
> > Anyway, my connection will be activated soon, so please poke me again monday.
> > I'ts true that I should take a look at sf.net patchs ...
> > Anyway, this laptop should work with asus-laptop oO.
> > modprobe asus-laptop gives you "No such device" ?
>
> Using 2.6.26, I get no such device and the driver refuses to load.
> asus-acpi loads fine and does its job.
>
> I will try the patch and see if that helps. I was rather surprised that
> it didn't load, so I started doing acpi dumps and looking at the driver
> to see if I could figure out what it used to determine things. It
> looked to me like it checks if the hotkey registration works, which by
> the looks of it it isn't doing at the moment.

I finally got a chance to play with this. Turns out asus-laptop DOES
work. It however does NOT work if asus-acpi is already loaded, which
for some reason udev likes to do automatically because both claim to
support the same devices, but they sure aren't equal.

Now once asus-acpi is unloaded and asus-laptop loaded, then it does
appear to do stuff. fn+f2 does manage to do something, although not
consistently or very reliably, but I suspect that may be a user space
acpi events problem to do with the scripts that are run when the key is
hit, so I have to play with that a bit more.

It does appear that when loaded, the wifi rf_kill is cleared, but after
hitting fn+f2 a few times, it gets set again and never clears after that
other than by unloading and reloading asus-laptop, so something fishy is
still going on.

--
Len Sorensen