Re: Panic: NMI Watchdog detected LOCKUP on CPU

From: Carsten Menke
Date: Wed Nov 26 2008 - 19:20:11 EST

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 18:00:11 -0600
> Von: Robert Hancock <hancockr@xxxxxxx>
> An: linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Betreff: Re: Panic: NMI Watchdog detected LOCKUP on CPU

> Normally server-class hardware doesn't cause these kinds of symptoms
> from hardware problems, they usually spew NMIs, etc. but it's not
> impossible. 2.6.15 is pretty ancient though. Can you try a newer kernel?

Yes I will try that definitley, but I hoped that someone maybe knows if that was a particular problem of that
kernel (according to the panic log) version and chances are good they are fixed in later versions. The second problem is, that it can takes fairly long until I know if the problem is gone because sometimes it takes 2 months until a crash happens. So the second question is, how to prove if this is not hardware or how to prove it is definitley hardware. I have read the list and saw that NMI CPU Lockup messages can also be due to kernel bugs.

Regards

Carsten
P.S. before the these problems happened the server was running well for a year, but I've also done the usual system upgrades