Re: [take2] Inotify: nested attributes support.

From: David Newall
Date: Wed Nov 26 2008 - 08:05:04 EST

Evgeniy Polyakov wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 11:17:28PM +1030, David Newall (davidn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
>
>> I don't think so. As discussed,
>> (http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=122735413932519), you already can
>> differentiate I/O made by local users, so you don't need to modify inotify.
>>

> And as was shown it does not work for all cases and introduces unneded
> performance overhead.

If the performance using a local loopback is insufficient, or even when
using a UNIX domain socket, then it's going to be even worse for the
actual network-connected clients. And the cases were it doesn't work
amount to poor system administration, which is a solvable problem.

>> This change violates my first rule of programming: If there's two or
>> more ways of solving a problem, pick one; don't pick them all.
>>

> Then we should go back to caves, raw meat was so tasty...

Amusing, but irrelevant to programming.