Re: [RFC] Reentrant clock sources

From: Thomas Gleixner
Date: Tue Nov 25 2008 - 16:22:43 EST

On Tue, 25 Nov 2008, Magnus Damm wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Is there any special reason behind the non-reentrant clock source
> code? I'm writing some timer help code and getting the struct
> clocksource as argument to the callbacks would make the code much
> cleaner and better.

Why do you want that ? And what has reentrancy to do with the
clocksource argument to read() ?

> Extending the callbacks to be able to start and stop clock sources
> for improved power management would be good too in my opinion.
> Any thoughts?

What have you in mind there ? Starting / stopping a clocksource when
what happens ? You can't stop them randomly except you want to screw
timekeeping.

> + cycle_t (*vread)(struct clocksource *cs);

This is crap. vread can not access the clocksource.

Thanks,

tglx