Re: Developing non-commercial drivers ?

From: Radhakrishnan
Date: Wed Nov 19 2008 - 03:58:45 EST

There is an interesting situation that seemingly meets the GPL clause
but is also used for developing proprietory drivers, and it works as
under :

Consider an organization A ( the Technical organization ) that is
contracted with developing specific hardware & software for an
organization B that happens to be the Navy.

Also assume that both the organizations ( A & B ) are under the Ministry
of Defence.

Organization A now contracts me, a freelancer, for developing some linux
kernel drivers for an embedded defence related project.

I develop the drivers and hand them over to Organization A and clearly
mark my code as GPL since I believe in the spirit of GPL.

However, Organization A now bundles the code with the specially
'manufactured' hardware and sells it to their ONLY customer,
Organization B ( The Navy ).

Now, Organization B ( The Navy ) who is also the CUSTOMER, INSISTS that
Organization A NOT REVEAL the source code to anybody else and this is
agreed upon by Organization A since the software can ONLY work on the
specific hardware supplied to the Navy and this is a highly classified
project, and cannot/will not be sold to anyone else.

Under this scenario,

a) The software is GPL-ed

b) No-one can get to see the software unless I the developer squeal.
A 3rd party cannot pop-up and demand to see the software since the 3rd
party is not a customer or in any way related to any transaction.

c) If I squeal, I may disappear. Since I am paid for my hard work lets
say I do not have any desire to squeal.

Am I therefore right in assuming that this is a specific case where the
open source nature of Linux is being used with great effect but the very
nature of the licensing denies ANYONE ELSE from being a party to this
transaction ?

V. Radhakrishnan
www.atr-labs.com