Re: [RFC,v2] x86_64: save_args out of line

From: Jeremy Fitzhardinge
Date: Tue Nov 18 2008 - 19:08:33 EST

H. Peter Anvin wrote:
Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:

Not really. At the moment we have two parallel assembly languages which say different things about the same instructions. In practice, almost nobody understands the cfi parts, so they just get ignored while the x86 instructions change around them, leaving them either stale or missing.

If we had a sensible macro layer which emits both instructions and cfi annotations, it at least means that people who write plain x86 instructions will simply get no annotations, and people who bother to learn the (clearly and fully documented) macros will get the best of both.

I think that it would be nice to have macros for the most commonly annotatable instructions, e.g. push, and stack pointer movement. Just compactifying the code should improve readability, if perhaps not writability.

Yes. Something that obviously relates to both the instruction and the semantic intent of the annotation: add_sp, sub_sp, save_reg, etc. And at least that will eliminate the differently-signed(!) constant for stack movement.

-hpa