Re: arch_flush_lazy_mmu_mode() in arch/x86/mm/highmem_32.c

From: Jeremy Fitzhardinge
Date: Tue Nov 18 2008 - 13:01:00 EST

Jan Beulich wrote:
If an interrupt (event) comes in, a multicall could of course be 'preempted',
in order to service the event. But of course that works only if event
delivery isn't disabled.

Well, if we made a local copy of the multicall queue, we could enable interrupts before doing the multicall.

There's no reason to do any flush at all if you suppress batching temporarily.
And it only needs (would need) explicit suppressing here because you can't
easily recognize being in the context of a page fault handler from the
batching functions (other than recognizing being in the context of an
interrupt handler, which is what would allow removing the flush calls from
highmem_32.c).
I'm not sure what your concern is here. If batching is currently enabled, then the flush will push out anything pending immediately. If batching is disabled, then the flush will be a noop and return immediately.

Latency, as before. The page fault should have to take longer than it really
needs, and the flushing of a pending batch clearly doesn't belong to the
page fault itself.

Yes, I can see that. But in practice the batches are pretty small; the cap is only 32 entries to start with, and there are very few operations which can really get close to that. Large mprotects and munmaps of present pages are the only way to make large batches, and they're uncommon and expensive operations anyway.