[x86] do_arch_prctl - bug?

From: Eric Lacombe
Date: Tue Nov 18 2008 - 09:33:51 EST

Hello,

I would like to know why the ARCH_SET_GS action of sys_arch_prctl, write the
MSR MSR_KERNEL_GS_BASE and not the MSR MSR_GS_BASE when the variable "doit"
equals 1? Is that a bug?

In other words, why the following code :
if (doit) {
load_gs_index(0);
ret = checking_wrmsrl(MSR_KERNEL_GS_BASE, addr)
}
is not the following one :
if (doit) {
ret = checking_wrmsrl(MSR_GS_BASE, addr)
load_gs_index(0);
}

I copy for clarity the beginning of the function "do_arch_prctl" :

long do_arch_prctl(struct task_struct *task, int code, unsigned long addr)
{
int ret = 0;
int doit = task == current;
int cpu;

switch (code) {
case ARCH_SET_GS:
if (addr >= TASK_SIZE_OF(task))
return -EPERM;
cpu = get_cpu();
/* handle small bases via the GDT because that's faster to
switch. */
if (addr <= 0xffffffff) {
set_32bit_tls(task, GS_TLS, addr);
if (doit) {
load_TLS(&task->thread, cpu);
load_gs_index(GS_TLS_SEL);
}
task->thread.gsindex = GS_TLS_SEL;
task->thread.gs = 0;
} else {
task->thread.gsindex = 0;
task->thread.gs = addr;
if (doit) {
load_gs_index(0);
ret = checking_wrmsrl(MSR_KERNEL_GS_BASE, addr);
}
}
put_cpu();
break;